Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Speaking in Tongues?

Dr john brought this subject up in his blog. He said that I spoke in tongues and so questions arose. This practice is not in most Lutheran churches. But I would bet , although I have not any facts that there are people who speak in tongues in most congregations. This I believe to be the case in most congregations no matter the denomination. Why because it was the way God seemed to move in the 70.

Dr John heard about a Lutheran Charismatic conference in Minneapolis. It was about thirty years ago. We went with the children staying in a campground near Minneapolis. I think the conference was held in a large auditorium down town. We attended the conference and the children were taken and cared for by a near by church. I loved the music and the enthusiasim of the worshipers. The singing in the spirit was beautiful. There were people who spoke in tongues and then there was someone who would interpret what was said. At the end of each day it was hard to get people to leave. There were no 20 minute sermons think of an hour or more. You did not feel that it was so long because they were good speakers. There were free material and there was a book store. There was no fear there because everything was in order. There was no pushing tongues but explanation. No one attacted you.

We left with neither of us speaking in tongues. John did go up for prayer and he said nothing happened. We now kno w better.

I found a little book on how to speak in tongues when I got home and was putting things away from the trip. I read the book and prayed the prayer at the end,but I said I wanted to beable to just to speak to others I didn't care if I spoke in tongues. I was very shy.

During my devotions I played Christian songs and would sing along. As I was singing I began to sing in a different language. When I told John he said don't tell anyone.

This experience let to more Bible study. I found I could pray in tongues and did not have to sing or talk out loud. I searched for a Lutheran understanding of what had happened.

Dr John was correct the information that he spoke in Latin was a sign that God was in control .

10 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

I have never attented anything like what you described. But i can only imagined how great the positive energy and unity of all worshipers must have been like. It sounds like something that would stay with you for a lifetime. What a wonderful experience. I think that would be something everyone should be exposed to...
I definetely don't have any experiences with speaking in tongue but i honestly believe that it is for real and it comes from God.
I heard that you were sick with a cold too. I hope you are doing better. It seems to have hit many in your family. Here in town, scary enough, their seems to be a virus going around. It is kinda of a cold but it somehow comes with killer back aches...We personally haven't gotte it but people all around are dropping like flies. And the worst and main complain is unbeliavable lower back pain....Weird isn't it?
I hope you and Dr. John and your son are getting over this nasty cold bug...
Have a wonderful day and thank you for such a wonderful post again.

5:37 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

Thank you chana I hope these colds go away soon. Because we were all together we probably pass it on to each other.

6:27 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

Laurie: I thought as I read your post that you would not speak in tongues or handle snakes. You can never tell. God gives us what we need and is good for us. I don't want to handle snakes either. Tongues have given me peace.

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! So you did not intentinally start it, it just happened? That is so amazing!

9:07 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i just heard about your sister and wanted to write to you and tell you that i'm sorry. Tell you that of course we will pray for her and for all the family. To tell you that i'm glad that the prognosis is good and that we care deeply for you and your family. Hugs, many hugs and our hearts....

5:17 PM  
Blogger Penelda said...

Well I thought this would be the place to share that age under the pool table I spoke in tongues. It is a family thing. I will be praying for Aunt Sue and for you.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I have a friend who speaks in tongues to.

I am so sorry to hear about your sister Betty.....do hope all is ok with her....you have my prayers

6:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your sister is in my prayers Betty!

6:45 PM  
Blogger Stevie B said...

Betty

Thanks for posting on my blog. I'm commenting on this entry instead of your most recent one, since you posted on my post about prophesying. I read a few of your posts, and I'm encouraged by your words.

I myself grew up in the Plymouth Brethren church, went to a non-denominational charismatic Bible college and got baptized in the Holy Spirit, didn't know how to argue/explain it to others back home. I kept going to the brethren church I'd grown up in, but eventually my mom got healed of fibromyalgia at another church in town (a charismatic baptist one) and I emailed everyone praising God for it. Well one of the elders came up to me and rebuked me for sending out such an "obnoxious and disrespectful" e-mail. I was in the middle of preparing to go to the Netherlands for a missionary internship, and as a result of the healing and my beliefs, they decided they didn't want to help me. So those couple of things motivated me to finally just leave the place, that and the letter they wrote me expressing how much better it would be for me to get the backing of another home church. So, eventually I just started going somewhere else, and I'm glad I finally did. I feel so much more released to be myself and free to worship Jesus without playing political games or worrying what my life will do to other peoples' doctrine.

It's too bad when Christians lose focus of what matters, eh?---Jesus and Him alone, not our own personal preferences of how that package should look.

Anyway, keep on rocking out for Jesus.

Blessings.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Mmm said...

Thaks for sharig your story about togues. I read your comment on Steve's blog.

I wuld encourage you to read an old book called "9 o'clock in the Morning" about an Episcopal priest who was first skeptical of the gifts until he then received some himself. A lot of his misconceptions were laid aside and he realised it was not a possession where one loses controls but one is fully in charge of when to speak it or not and it led him to greater devotion and in his prayer life.

why people forbid teh speaking in tongues when scripture clearly say not to is beyond me. We don't say the other gifts like "faith" have ceased, do we? All the gifts when used properly are a blessing to the believer and to the church.

Belss you in your service in the Lutheran Church.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home