Saturday, May 06, 2006

A Family

Those of us in the waiting room of the I C U became a family. We prayed for each other . We answered the phone and put messages on the board if family members weren't there. We of course did not meet their loved ones.

One of the ladies husband was in the ICU a week before mine. Her name was Betty also. She was from my home town. I called her the other Betty. Her husband had open heart surgery. The surgery went well but he had a reaction to the anesthesia He pulled out the stitches and then came along many complications. Betty and I stayed at the Beacon house . We ate breakfast together with others that were staying there. Betty had a large family that was careing. She left the hospital a week before I did. Her husband left the hospital with her. Many of the complications were like what my husband had. He unlike my husband did not stay on the ventilator. I missed her for that last week.
..
Another lady with strong faith and a large caring family,husband fell from a latter at work causing a head injury. She and her family were Packer fans and she made sure we got to see the games. Her son who was there with her had a miracle. The son was in an accident and they thought he would die and there he was supporting his mom. Her husband did die . She had to make that terrible decision to take him off life support.

There was a family who's mother was there due to a car accident where the son was driving. Again this
was a large family who gave each other support and had great faith.
My sister-in law and her husband were there every day.

My family was there taking off work to be there for their father and to support me. When the time became so long they had to go home and back to work but they would come back on week ends. Thanksgiving we got the meal prepared at Super One and we took it to the Beacon House to eat.

There were many who came and went, I just commented on the ones that stayed for a long time in the I CU.

There was one family who 's loved one was Dr. Johns room mate. that didn't get along with each other so badly that the security had to be called and them removed but most were supportive of each other and those others in the waiting room.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you met some other people you could lean on. I am sure they you all helped each other a lot.

I plan to keeo in touch with my roommate from my recent hospital stay. She really needs someone. And I wonder if I got appendicitis so that we would meet. The world works in funny ways like that.

6:54 PM  
Blogger plinna said...

I remember the people in the waiting room. We would rejoice with every litle bit of good news. We would feel every bit of pain. I was amazed how fast the heart patients were released. I won't tell any stories so that I don't step on your blog. I know that during that time I put a lot of pressure on you with doctor updates and dealing with all the
problems that were thrown at you.I just know you are a very stong person and someone I admire and love very much.
Pete

8:40 PM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

Mimi: I think God used your appendicitis to lead you to your roommate.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Lovely post Betty! I also remember people from the ICU waiting room when my Father had a heart attack 20 years ago. What a scary time that was. Its like when your at your lowest , you meet people in the same boat and you support each other.

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think so too!

8:28 PM  
Blogger Penelda said...

I am glad that you have a chance to share this story. Pete has it right you are one amazing lady.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

family whether blood related or the emotional bonds we make are the thread of life...i'm glad you had a few loving hearts that with you helped each other...as i'm sure that you helped those families as well with your kindness and love...

it's great to have love ones to help us through. it's a two way street really as the one's lending a heart or arms for a hug or cuddle get much out of it too...
When my father went in to emergency, 3 days before he died, my mom was 'uncomfortable' with me being around...i guess she wanted to be in total control of the situation but how i longed and hoped and cried as i wanted to be near him...i got to spent very few precious minutes here and there in those 3 days...i knew he would die and i was dying without him, without being to be at his side...
It's a horrible anger and resentment and source of pain in my heart. I should have been allowed to be there every second...

i hope you had a good wknd. Have a great day.

7:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home