Monday, May 01, 2006

Ride to Marquette

I want to begin with a thank you to the doctors and nurses who took care of my husband in Iron River. I also want to thank Pastors Fred and Kim who were there with me. It was early morning when I was told that John would be sent to Marquette, It was late afternoon before the ambulance left . My oldest son and daughter arrived . The doctor talked to us as a family. Pat had not arrived and the ambulance pulled out . As we were driving away Pat passed us. He was flagged down. We drove to the house where I threw in a suitcase a bunch of things to wear. I had no idea how long it would be before I could return, and as it turned out it was a long time.
It was late when we got to the hospital. We tried to stay at the hospital guest rooms but they were filled. There is a former hotel which was open to people who needed to stay for someone in the hospital. The former Best Western became the Beacon House. There was no charge just a donation. You can't smoke and there isn't a TV in the room. There is a room that has a TV and a refrigerator for the guest to use. The room at that time had a couch and a chair and a table with some chairs around it. Quite small. At this time we couldn't care less. It was a place to stay. We got to see John who was in a coma and attached to many tubes. We didn't see a doctor but the nurses talked to us. I will continue later.

We had a nice weekend with the family. My youngest grandson missed the train show because of his behavior in school. He understood this. He did get to go to the water park. I enjoyed the train show and tried hard not to buy everything. I proved to be a coward at the park and would not go down the slide which everyone else enjoyed. I got in the hot tub however. Best of all, we got together as a family.


Blogger Mimi said...

I know how hard and stressful those times are. My son spent his first 12 days in the NICU. And those family rooms are not comfy at all. I know that Dr John is lucky to have you as you are him. You two seem really special.

9:26 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Glad you had a great weekend with the family....sorry about the grandson, but as we all know, boys will be boys. Im sure he learned a valuable lesson and kudos to his parents for sticking to their guns!

Am waiting to hear the rest of the story about Dr John. Had to be a very scary time for all of you.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Chana said...

It is great to have that Religious support when we are in such need. I'm glad that there was a place to stay at that ex-hotel...It must have been such a hard ordeal, emotionally and physically. I'm glad he is on the way to a complete recovery.

I am very glad to read you were happy all together as a family. These are precious memories and i am glad you are making them.

If i may ask, are you Bettygram? I have these beautiful comments for a little while and i have tried numerous times to go to her website and say thank you. I end up here: ...i am wondering if it's you as the same name Betty and the blog has something that saids Fortress att the top....???

10:17 AM  
Blogger Chana said...

Oh it's you...well good to have a chance to thank you for so many kind and lovely comments you always leave me. Thank you so very much.

Did you write those beautiful poems and lyrics in the homepage i send the link too? They are so beautiful!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Laurie said...

Being together as a family - the best part for sure! :-)

1:39 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

The yougest grandson did well in school today so we took the gift card you gave him and he bought something with it (a drawbridge for his train track. So, he likes to buy train stuff, too.....runs in the family, huh?

Thanks for coming down! (Make sure you read the comment I left on Johns blog).

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home