Monday, May 08, 2006

Beacon House

I have mentioned before about the Beacon House , a remodel Best Western. When I came there they had a small family room and kitchen. When I left they had a large kitchen in the basement with three refrigerators , one freezer, three stoves and ovens. Each room had it own cupboard. The had a large screen TV. There was a counter, and a number of small round tables . There were two or three micrwaves Across the hall they had a large family room with TV, Puzzles,and magazines,and homemade afghans. They were putting in a childrens playroom and computer room when I left. The charge for the rooms were whatever you wanted to give. There were no TVs in the room so that those staying there would leave their room and meet others for support.

The Beacon House brought to mind two other stories. They were connected. There was a young lady whos husband was in the hospital. I can't remember why. Dr John had been moved to sixth floor so I met her the Beacon House at breakfast with the other Betty. She was interested in healthful life style, commenting on the number of calories in the sweet rolls we were eating provided by Beacon House. She did lead me to make some changes. I bought a loaf of bread and milk and cereal. I began walking to and from the hospital, about three blocks if you cut through the parking lots. She and her husband lived in the woods and didn't have running water or electricity. Her husband passed away.

There was another family who I met in the ICU. The father who was elderly had heart problems and he as the other heart patience left the ICU in about three days, in a wheelchair balloons tied to the chair and loaded with gifts and stuff. All very happy to be leaving for home. We shortly heard the code blue. He had not made it out of the hospital. Their long trial began,John was moved to the sixth floor . The young woman from above had come into the ICU. The family of the elderly gentleman offered to drive the young lady to her home because she didn't have anyone with her. This was not a short distance and she agreed and they took her to her home. Writing this and bringing her to mind I wonder how she is doing. The elderly gentleman did pass away.

We painted the street of our garden railroad, actually we painted it yesterday but we put in the parking spaces. I got my hair done and we drove over to get our car license and cold medicine.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you love that "just got your hair done" feeling? I do.

That place sounds interesting. Especially that you paid what you wanted.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I m, glad you got some support at the Beacon House. If we ever get some extra money, I am going to send them some!

8:00 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

That Beacon House sounds pretty interesting.

Thanks for commenting on my blog.I enjoy Dr. John's comments too.

8:14 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

Here in town we have the Ronald MacDonald house. It serves the same purpose as your Beacon House but it's for the Children's hospital. Our other hospitals don't have anything like that. It's needed and being as big a city as we are, you figure we ought to by now.
I'm glad you had the friendships and support that you made. I am sorry for so much loss you witness. That's pretty scary in any circumstances but i would think worse when you have a loved one in a delicate condition.

Your railroad project sounds lovely. I hope you guys will post pictures, so we can all admire your hard work.

Good to hear you were able to get your hair done. It's such a nice treat isn't it?

Hope you have a good night.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

Those houses are so nice for people when they have a loved one seriously ill and in the hospital. You meet other people as frightened as you about their loved one and you kinda give each other support.Plus its very economical for people who dont have the means to stay in a motel for as long as they have to be there.

9:32 PM  
Blogger Penelda said...

Well you reminded me I have a letter I wrote but never sent to Beacon House. I would like to do a fund raiser but can't think of an original idea for one.
I am sad that it rained today because you couldn't work on the railroad.

5:57 PM  
Blogger kristi said...

I think that the Beacon House sounds like it was quite theraputic. You met people that were coping with some of the same problems that you were. I know that as much as my father in law is in the hospital, my mother in law would really benefit from having that kind of support! I think that all hospitals should offer something like that

10:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home