Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The ICU in Marquette

John was in the ICU for six weeks when we first arrived. I lived in the waiting room, sleeping at the Beacon House. We could see him for fifteen min when we went in his room. They told us to talk to him. I found this most difficult,because He was the talker and I was the listener. At one time there was another man next to John in a coma and his wife was very good at talking to her husband.
The waiting room was a large rectangle. The end near the door was very cold, Jacket cold. The other end was very warm, shorts and t-shirt warm. You needed to dress in layers as you never knew where you would have to sit. I took a short time going out shopping buying clothes that I could wear in layers. I also carried a small blanket. It was nice that we trusted the others in the waiting room and did not have to carry everything around with us. Our other things we had were magazines and puzzle books. I had also my cross-stich. There was a cupboard of old, very old magazines and puzzles with pieces missing.

I did a lot of puzzle making, I found it kept my mind busy with things other than John. I went out and bought new puzzles . I know that most people are there a short time and the magazines and puzzles were not important.

In my next blog I will talk about the amazing people who were in the waiting room with me sharing our troubles.

6 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

Oh what a horrible time in your lives. You are a pretty strong lady Betty. Thank you for being at his side loving him and caring for him.
I read Dr. John's post today and i am super happy that it was you all the time...Your love sounds like what we all hope for. Everlasting and true. Congratulations to you both.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

What a horrible time for you Betty. But I have no doubts that you were by his side encouraging him all the way.You are a special lady ~ I could just hug you!

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a rough time. I am curious to read about the people you met. Sometimes we meet the most memorable people of our lives at rough times. I guess its Gods way of being there.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

What I remember about that time was how the kids were not afraid to go in and see him with all the tubes. The son was only a year 1/2 old. John always acknowledged them (this was so funny because he ignored the nurses...hee...hee)

6:50 PM  
Blogger Penelda said...

I liked the puzzle that was missing puzzle pieces

4:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I liked doing the word puzzles in that one book cant remember what the book was called. I always remember all the other people there waiting for there loved ones I was so amazed on how friendly and caring they were seeing and hearing the issues they were going through also. Hospitals can be so frustrating and yet everyone one was so kind.

Patrick

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home