Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Remembering Harry

The more I think about my uncle Harry I am amazed. He had retired when I knew him. He stayed at my aunts home [it was his house too because my grandparents had left the house to the children] and when my birth mother died my father also came to stay in the house with me. When my birth father died I was adopted by my aunt. Harry was the babysitter for my baby sister and myself.

Harry was a bachelor. He was a sargent in the army during WWI. They rode horses. We had a room upstairs in the back which was like a walk-in closet. In that room he set up a "war room" during WWII.



He had maps and newspapers keeping track of the war. This is not the type of man you would think of changing dypers . He wash clothes and there were no automatic washer and dryers.

I remember a Christmas when because of the war the lights were not colored. He was not happy with that so he painted the white lights individualy different colors. To do that he hung them on the clothes line in the basement. We used them on the tree for many years.

Today was a beautiful day as warm as a summer day. We worked on the center of the railroad, uncovering the water fall and pool. We cleaned it out and added water and ran it.

It is my sister birthday. Happy birthday sister!

5 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

Happy Birthday Sister!!! I hope she has a most wonderful of days. Filled with family, love, giggles and peace..

I love your stories. I love imagining you as a child. Someone it makes me think of my great-grandparents..and that is such a wonderful way to start the day. So, thank you very much for sharing. Harry sounds like a wonderful man. I'm glad you and your sister always had such loving people that surround you.

Glad the rainy days stopped and you are enjoying some summer weather...here, the heat has cooled enough for me to enjoy the day...Yuppi! and we have had rain too, so everything is sooo green.

Hope you have been well. How is that cold? I hope it is too gone...

Enjoy your day.

5:29 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Oh, Happy Birthday to your sister as well. Seems like some of your favorite people were born in May, right?

7:42 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Happy Birthday to your sister....and yes Lori...all good people were born in May, myself included...lol. I have an uncle like your uncle Harry, his name is Keith. One day I will write about him b/c he is sooo funny. When I was 12 he was the only one who would let me drive his car....lol

8:07 AM  
Blogger Ole Blue The Heretic said...

That was a wonderful memory. I can picture everything perfectly.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Betteys sister!

Your uncle sounds like a neat person!

We still have rain and gloom here. The sun teases us now and then.I am not falling for it anymore. Summer isnt coming this year.

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home