Friday, May 12, 2006

Mothers

Happy Mothers Day!

I have had three mothers in my life. They were all great. They have all passed away. My birth mother died when I was four years old. I went with my father to live with my aunt, my fathers sister. My father died the next year and my aunt became my mother. Her name was Margaret, nick name was Peg.

She was a working mom but she didn't need a babysitter or daycare. My uncle was staying at her home. He was an other brother. He was mr. mom.Her husband was over seas fighting in WWII. Her husband became my father.

She was a secretary but worked at different jobs through the years. She worked for the railroad, the DNR, and the church. After her husband returned from the war, a baby sister was born.

My mother was active in the P.T.A. and worked at the Halloween carnivals. She had great respect for teachers and when they had conference she would provide a place to stay. She attended every activity my sister and I were in. She was a church organist since she was in highschool. She was in the Eastern Star. She would play the organ for the Ice review practice. She loved to play Bridge, and won very often belonging to a Bridge Club.

My mother never spanked. She never raised her voice. She just gave you that look.

My third mom was Edith my mother-in-law. She was a stay at home mom. After Dr John's brother died she began taking in foster children mostly babies. She was an expert on baby care. When I was going to have my first child I had much to learn. I had done baby sitting but it was for children out of diapers. She gave me practice with the baby she had at that time. After the birth she came and stayed to help me. She was with me when I was with Dr John in Green Bay when he had that ear infection.

I loved my mom's and I miss them.

6 Comments:

Blogger Catch said...

It sounds like you had 3 wonderful women taking care of you Betty. You were truly blessed. I am sorry your Mother died at such a young age. But happy that the people who took care of you were good to you. My Grandmother and Mother were members of the Eastern Star too. Its a good organization.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

Oh Betty you were Blessed 3 times over with all those wonderful moms!

I'm happy that you had so many women who loved you and took such good care of you and your sister. And their is your Uncle too. How truly wonderful that he was there...I'm so happy that your mother in law was an important part in your life. What a wonderful example to all of us.

I love that your mom,never spanked. I admire that greatly. I have seen (including in myself) too many spirits die over a beating...How she never raised her voice is truly amazing. That i can't seem to avoid. You guys must have been so well behaved!

You have so many beautiful angels looking over you...I'm sorry that you miss them. That can't be helped. The heart keeps on loving on forever, as it should...

Happy Mother's Day. Thank you for sharing such special memories.

9:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You had more than your fair share of loss. But you were blessed with some very special people in your life.And I know you meant just as much to them as they did to you.

Have a wonderful Mothers Day!

11:15 AM  
Blogger kristi said...

THose 3 mothers made you who you are today and I would be oh so thankful for that you are such a nice woman. I can also give my kids the look and they back down. I guess I am doing something right

7:42 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

This was a nice tribute to your moms. I am sure they were all proud of you and loved youvery much. I use 'the look' a lot with my kids. Works well with the older one but we are still wondering with the younger one.

Happy Mother's Day!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the visit. How lucky you were to have 3 moms. My mom died when I was 22 so she never got to see me married or her grandchildren. When I was a teen she and I didnt get along, but the older I get the more I realize that most of the time she was right! And the "look" was something she had too. I guess I inherited it apparently, cause my kids said I had it. I had the one raised eyebrow that meant business! My son said I was "the Rock" before he was ever heard of. I often wonder what my mother would say today.

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home