Sunday, May 28, 2006

Memorial Day

In my home town I don't remember a parade but we put flowers on the graves of our relatives. My mother would purchase the flowers and take them and as we became able to we helped plant them.

Now being away from my home town we do not put flowers on the graves but we have until Dr John became ill would go to the parade and to the ceremonys. Dr John sometimes was the speaker and sometimes he was called on to pray. All of the children were in the highschool band and they would march out to the cemetery . Besides the band , and the veterans, The Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts would march. As a Girl Scout leader I made that march. When everything was done at Crystal everyone who was a part of the ceremony would drive to Amasa [a place smaller than Crystal Falls]. After the ceremony there refreshments were given out. There were two bad things that are a part of our memories The heat and the bugs. The heat ans standing make for people passing out in the band.

We made two trips for dirt yesterday and another one today to fill the pool hole. I got the dirt in and the flowers planted. The For-get-me -nots do not look so good every thing else seemed OK.

In the morning we were to have a baptism at 10:00 but the people showed up at the 8:00 service. The pastor called the lady working with me at 7:45 and she set out the cake and made coffee We provide a cake and coffee and punch to celebrate after the service. I went late to church since I went Saturday night. I came in during the sermon which is followed by the baptism. No baptism I couldn't understand why. I am on the altar commitee for May so I couldn't get down right after service. We also provide refreshments after the last service of the month. I expected to see the cake. No cake. I said the whole cake is gone. Then my friend explained they came at 8:00.

5 Comments:

Blogger Penelda said...

Well it is good that the cake was eaten. I always hated marching in the memorial day parade when I was a sophmore and a Junior because the bad was down the two other grades.

9:56 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

Hmmmm....i'm starting to see a similarity in your post and in Dr. JOhn's post today....I'm starting to suspect how he gets his ideas for his Pigeon Falls town....Betty, this could be great..he gives us the fictional part and you the real one...I think it would be fantastic!

How sweet of your church to be so accomodating to that family with the baptism...I can assure you that not one of the churches in this City would have done that (Catholic ones i mean)...I'm most impressed as i'm acustomed to grumpier attitudes when things go off the expected schedule.

Hope you had a great long wknd. I am sure that the flowers will be looking as beautiful as you in no time..

Thank you for your so loving comments. They make my day so much brighter and happier. God Bless you for making so many people like myself smile...

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I want cake ;)

I can't remember any Memorial Days as a kid.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Chris Beason said...

I agree with Mimi...I want cake! I know this has nothing to do with cake at church, but I told my friend last night that I started baking two cakes a week without frosting to substitute for the little debbie cakes we used to eat. Well, I didn't bake ANY cakes last week! I should bake a cake today! It is Memorial Day after all and everybody should have cake on Memorial Day! Happy Memorial Day...I'm going to bake a cake!

9:23 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

You just reminded me that I do have cake!!!! lol...and now Im going to go have some!!! Thanks Betty..I needed that! LoL

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home