Monday, February 19, 2007

Finding the right church

What you see the first time may not be the truth. This is what I have found out in the last month in my search for a new church. On New Year's Eve we went to St Marks for Sunday service. The church was half full. There was one child for the children's sermon. The children's sermon was read loosing the very young child . They meandered through the liturgy. That is the only way I can think of to describe it. The people were friendly.
We went to other churches. We decided to go to one church for a month, starting with St Marks.
The church has been full. There is a large amount of children attending the services. Last Sunday the children were involved in their sermon. They have an adult bell choir but they also have a children's bell choir. The children and adults both have a choir. The people remained friendly and it feels like a family. I now like the way they do the liturgy it frees you from the book. The pastor is a pastor and pays attention to his congregation. This will be our church.
In looking for a church one needs to go to the service a number of times to find what the church is really like.

I have not been blogging for a number of reasons one being my computer was down for a time and I had to wait for my son to come and get it back on it's feet, or stand or just running. Then in preparation for new blogger I got my own place or something. You can tell I don't have a clue about computers. I just click my mouse on the little pictures I am told to. I started writing with pencil and paper and I was pushed into a manual typewriter. Reading what I wrote was a lot easier for others and also myself. It is bad when you can't read your own writing. I know there is so much I could do if I knew what I was doing. Everything seems so complicated.

9 Comments:

Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Since I can no longer leave a comment on John's, my leave a comment Mondday will be yours!

I am so glad you like the church. Yesterday for the first time in my life, I could homestly say "I LOVE CHURCH!" all because I believe we found the right one and as you said, it feels like a family.

We were going to come visit yesterday but Breanna had a friend call for a playdate and Luke and I had to make cookies for his class.

Computers are frustrating!!! DO you take the time to talk to it? Do say "You are a special ccomputer and teh only computer for me"? Maybe you could sing Happy Birthday to it or something. I know they have feelings because they are always having breakdowns.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Betty, you are way ahead of many members of your generation who are afraid to even touch a computer. You are doing just fine.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Betty...join the crowd! None of us know a lot about it. I have a very good friend is a computer genious and hehelps me a lot...and the bestthing is...he has a lot of patience!

Glad you found a Church you feel good in!!!

8:30 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I just press buttons, too. I figure, what's the worst that could happen, it's just a machine. I'm glad you found a church you like.

3:52 AM  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

You are so lucky to have a choice of churches! The closest one for us is a half hour away - there are others, if we want to travel more.

As for computers - I give up. I do the best I can and go to the Apple store when I have a problem. They know me there and are very helpful.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you have found a church that fits. To me a church must fit like a warm sweater. Good luck.

I'm still learning. It took me three days just to learn how to link. Then I haad a headache!

6:20 AM  
Blogger Neoma said...

Yes, in ways it is complicated, but you try, and you keep going. And that is to your credit. My Mom won't have a computer in the house. She refuses even an email program or a picture screen. both of which I could get her, hook up and she wouldn't have to do all that much, one would just be fore letters, the other would be to just send her pictures. But she says NO. She gets to frustrated and when she can't make something work she gets mad. She is a very smart woman, so I have never understood why she doesn't give herself more credit. She could do it, but she doesn't want to. I have told her for a shut in like her, it would open a world of people, places and things. But she still says NO. sigh. You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink, so I just save my money, and call her on the phone. Well at least she let me get her a phone, after 35 years of begging.

9:13 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i'm no computer genius. i'm happy when i can get on blogger and post or comment and/or do my emails and look for pics..but it's enough for me..the funny thing is when my kids teach me shortcuts and stuff. even Keka, lol...but i forget again and again, ;p

i'm so very happy you both have found a church in which you are comfortable and feel the presence of God in the community and through the Pastor. i'm so very glad. but they are so very lucky to have you there too..they will soon learn that too.

thank you for taking care of everone and being the angel you are. thank you for all you do. hugs.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Hi Betty

It's been a spell since I've been by. Glad you found a church you and Dr John like attending. I think you are doing quite well with using your computer.

When I used to do technical support and someone who got a new computer and were a bit apprehensive about using it I'd suggest they take some night courses at a local College.

These programs are only once or twice a week and depending on the program one took depended on how involved the course got with how computers work.

A blessed weekend is wished for you and Dr John.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home