Saturday, December 09, 2006

Past Christmas




I have mentioned it before but I remember my Uncle Harry stringing the large white bulbs from the clothes line in the basement and painting each bulb so we would have colored lights. There were no colored lights because of the war. We used those lights for many many years. My mother saved decorations we made as kids and each year they were put on the tree. There was a bird that clipped to the tree with a white bushy tail. As the years went by the tail also went. Our socks were real socks that were hung. We didn't have a fireplace so we hung them from the window sill in the living room. The windows that were chosen were those that did not reach down to the floor.

To get our tree we would go out with my uncle Ken into the woods. Uncle Ken worked for a lumber company and he had a tree chosen for each family. The trip was cold and hard for me. I was short and I had to climb over branches on the ground. For all my complaining at the time I am glad we had those adventures. I don't remember when we got an artificial tree but I think I was in college, or maybe married.

Now to our present Christmas in a new house. We have an artificial tree. The lights are on the garland is on but the ornaments are not. Many boxes will leave the living room as soon as we can get them on. Today should be a good day to get out the outside trimed as it should be warmer. Temps at a wind chill of below zero are not the time to be outside. Hope to get pictures.

11 Comments:

Blogger Nessa said...

Can't wait to see your pictures. I hope you are settling in ok.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

oh thank you for sharing these memories. how lovely. your Christmas stories sounds just perfect to me. stay warm and happy in side the house. we look forward to the pics. enjoy your decorating of the new home. hope you have rested extra and aren't as tired. hugs.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Moving at Christmas ... too much work! You amaze me, Betty. And I'd love to see those pics.

5:09 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Looking forward to your pictures....it was 50 degrees here today and the sun was shining! Good to have you back to blogging Betty. Hope you are enjoying the new house!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I don't think anyone had an artificial tree when I was a young kid. I don't remember seeing any until a bit later.

I hope things are going well for you.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

Wow, Uncle Harry went through a lot of trouble to make sure you had a festive Christmas.

Aren't those old handmade ornaments the best? I still have some my children made in nursery school when they were three.

You're way ahead of me with getting your tree up this year! Ours won't go up until this weekend. Would love to see photos when all is done!

4:20 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

We have boxes in our living room too ready to be put away in the basement. Maybe I will do it today since the temp. in my house is above freezing!

8:06 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Love the video.

3:35 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i love the you tube clip of Brea. she sings beautiful. thank you for sharing.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like real trees. But I too have taken the artificial ropute this year. It is just so much easier.

12:48 PM  
Blogger ejohnson919 said...

HI

Just wanted to say Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year in your new home.

Also I resigned from United as of next Thurday the 22nd. I feel terrible but for a number of reasons I can not work at United.

My prayers are with the congregation and especially Mike.

God Bless and I send my love.

Elaine

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home