Thursday, October 19, 2006

Crystal Falls Summer





When I was in grade school, I would spend a week of vacation at my grandfathers. He lived in a log cabin on Runkle Lake. I enjoyed this because it ment that I could go swimming and boating every day. The cabin was located near the Runkle Lake Park and I could walk over there and have playground equipment to play on and meet other children to play with.

One summer I had a neighborhood friend come and stay with me. We had a good time. Something happened that was not fun. We wanted to make a tree house We gathered materials from around the area. We put up the boards doing our best to nail them to the tree. We were finished. A time had come to test. My friend climbed up the tree and our great work came crashing down with my friend. She thankfully did not break anything, but she was scared and had some scatches. That ended our building but we continued with swimming and boating.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I loved building forts as a kid...it a wonder none of us got killed or seriously injured.

4:53 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Betty, my friends and I built a little cabin out of odds and ends of lumber. The night we finished it we rolled out our sleeping bags in it, crawled into our "beds" to tell tales in the glow of the flashlight, and suddenly one of the walls fell outward and the roof came crashing down on our heads. No one was seriously injured, but we all had lumps and bruises!

7:01 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

haha Betty, I love those pictures! We were always building cabins when I was a kid....my brother fell out of one of the trees and broke both of his arms! That was about 45 years ago, hes as good as new now...lol

8:53 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

** My friend climbed up the tree and our great work came crashing down with my friend

LOL awwww!

well keep on building still :)

Keshi.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

We used to make curtains for our "tree house" out of baling twine. We would tie them to a long piece and untwist them like a grass skirt.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Diana Joy said...

Me and my 5 syblings used to spend days building forts. I haven't heard the word "fort" in sooo long. Thanks for the pictures. Pictures are a way of inviting others into your life. And into your past...
I wish you the best weekend ever!
Diana Joy

8:56 AM  
Blogger Diana Joy said...

Thanks for dropping by Betty!
I hope your weekend is going well?
I will check in later:)
Diana Joy

10:14 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

oh Betty what wonderful pics..which one was you? and what a fantastic way to spend some of your vacations..granparents are just the best..i know.Bree knows too :)..


glad your friend was alright..

4:01 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Hehe! That reminds me of the Hammock that my husband bought me for Christmas a few years ago. I wanted one so badly so I could swing beneath the shade of two old trees, in the breeze - with miles of marshland and riverview to see.

We attached the hooks and then the Hammock and both hopped on, snuggling and cuddling on Christmas Day. When one hook fell out and sent us both crashing flat on our backs from 4 ft. in the air.

Knocked the breath out of us, really!

5:00 PM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

The wonderful adventures of youth, sounds like a lovely place to spend time as a child. glad your friend was okay.

5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home