Monday, September 11, 2006

9/11

I was getting ready to go over to the church for a planning meeting for the Board of Outreach the TV was on I saw the smoke heard the news. The first thought was they were interviewing some one about an up coming movie, then I saw the live on the screen and then the other plane hit. I was in shock. Then came the report on Washington.
I went over to the church and gave them the information. I told them what was happening in tears. There wasn't a TV so Pastor Tammy found a radio, and then we prayed.
From the time I began school I expected the Russians to bomb us. War planes from far away. No thought of someone using our own passenger planes. At the close of the day, we [a radio message told where and when] met in the church parking lot for community prayer.
Although I live many miles from the East Coast, TV brought me there and I saw the suffering. I saw the heros. There were also those who provided a place and food for the planes and passengers who had to land. For a brief time our country came together. 9/11 May we not forget those who died and their families. May we remember that we are one country and work for a safe and free life for all.

12 Comments:

Blogger Catch said...

nice poet Betty, I think we all remember exactly what we were doing that day, just like when JFK was shot, I was in the school cafeteria, I will never forget.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

post..not poet

8:02 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

my heart is heavy today. i was thinking this morning what it was like to be a little girl in the middle of a war in Nicaragua. the fighting, the gun shots, the screaming, the wounds, the blood, the burning of trees, houses, buses..how my dad and mom moved us out of there in search of a new life, a better safer world...how some people think of the US as a safe haven and then others think of it as the enemy..ones to kill, ones to bomb..it's odd, it's weird, it's evil, it's sad..

perspective is one thing, opinions are another, but evil thoughts, evil actions and how so many can just excuse what they think and do is more than my heart and mind wants to ever experience-ever again..

8:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I was in high school when President Kennedy was killed. As we rode the bus home that day we were all silent.

I was watching Good Morning America and was transfixed and angry. Sometimes I feel that I have lived too long.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I hope people never forget....

8:20 PM  
Blogger MzAriez said...

I remember driving in my car. My kids missed the bus and I was driving the 35 miles to the school. It came over the radio. When I got home, I spent the day in front of the tv in awe and sadness.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

One of those situations where you wish you could forget, but you know that you shouldn't.......so sad....

2:41 PM  
Blogger Bella said...

Yes, 9/11 was a devastating day for America. We are surviving though.

3:39 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Amen Betty!
We always remember those who died so unneccesarily and wherever we were in the world,we allknew what destruction hate can do.
Lets pray it never happens again.

4:50 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Betty, our Pastor immediately opened the church. He held an unplanned worship service about 6 p.m. because so many people -- most of them not members -- had spent the day there in prayer, he felt they needed a message.

He spoke about prayer. He reminded us that God forgives us in the same manner we forgive others. Then he told us to pray for our enemies as well as the victims, and he assurred us that, no matter how it looked, God was in charge.

I wish the need the people felt to turn to the Lord that day still lingered on this day.

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Betty!! Just as Catch stated, even when JFK was shot we will all remember where we were, I was in grade school then and standing by the vent to the indoor pool. We all were pretty young then, but somehow felt the impact, just as 5 yrs ago...I was at work, and no one could believe it....all the radios turned on and we all were glued to what was happeining and calling our families to stay in and stay together.

Peg

3:47 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

how is it possible that one minute i can feel the weight of the world and the other i'm light as a feather? God has given me such incredible friends who help me out so often. Thank you for your words and the sentiments behind them..my goodness your hubby might not be the only doctor in the family. you can cure any broken anything too...hugs and thank you so very much.

6:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home