Monday, June 26, 2006

Find The Right House

We are house hunting again. This is such a hard task and when you are comfortable where you are, it is harder. My son and family and my daughter are out looking. Last time we didn't find anything that we liked in our price range. I came home very happy with the house I am living in.
Now we are further along having put our house up for sale. I keep getting ovewhelmed looking at all that I have to do. The best course is small steps. This is the first time we have to sell a house. We have been living in homes supplied by the church.

I believe that buying the house we are now living in was God's guidance. When my daughter was born it was in the hospital across the street from this house. 36 years ago I looked out my hospital window and I fell in love with it. Had no idea what it looked like inside and I thought to my self I wonder if when we can buy a house will this one be available. Two years before Dr John was to retire the house went up for sale. We bought the house but continued to live in the parsonage. The plan was to gradually bring our stuff over and repaint etc. Other things happened, Dr John ended up in the hospital. He was there for 6 months and would have to leave the hospital on a ventiltor He had trouble walking ,going up stairs was very difficult. The church placed a temp. pastor as they searched for a new permanent one. Dr John had to go on disability and there was no way he could go back to living in the parsonage. The steps from the garage up into the house were 13. So although if we had known that the church was going to sell the parsonage and would have liked to buy it we couldn't live in it. The house we are in has only two steps and people from our church put in railings. They also tore up the carpeting so that Dr John could walk with a walker. On taking up the carpet they found hard wood floors. Does God not provide.
With all this knowledge of how God looks out for us I have become anxious.

We want to move because we want to be closer to the family. I do not like to drive and it is unfair to make them do all the driving. As we get older there are more chances that we may land in the hospital. When Dr John was in the hospital for the big event the kids took time off from their work. This was hard on them and their place of employment.

Reasons for not moving. We own our home and in buying a new home we will be back to those monthly payments which you worry about each month.

24 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

what a wonderful read. it's a very lovely post. i can understand why you feel you should move but i can feel it's not really what you want. God's will is sometimes different than ours and you and Dr. John are an example of obedience and faith. you will find the right answer i believe.

moving is an overwhelming experience at any age and for any reason. we always accumulate way too much and not realized it until it's time to pack it all. i wish i or the kids could help.

i love how y

12:24 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

Continued...(don't know how i hit login but ...)

i love how you ended up buying and happily living in the home you loved. what an incredible story of God's hand in our everyday life.

May God Bless you and guide you. I wish you the best. Hugs.

12:27 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

Hi Don'ttalk about houses all the time get a break already. I have to sell pretend appartments I get angry. Tcob

5:38 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

Hi Don'ttalk about houses all the time get a break already. I have to sell pretend appartments I get angry. Tcob

5:42 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I think its exciting to look at new houses but I would dread packing! But I can understand wanting to be closer to your children. Im sure the kids will help you get stuff ready to move...dont worry about it too much Betty....it will all fall in to place. Have a good day Sweety!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Isn't it weird at your age you still do not get what you want? We will keep looking and the right place will show up. I would rather you take your time than ,ake a rash decision and move into something you do not like but bought just because it was up for sale.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Bella said...

What does your heart tell you? The answer is in you and Dr. John and no one else.

My mom is going through the same thing. She followed her heart and is moving up to where I live. :)

1:32 PM  
Blogger kristi said...

I think it would be nice if you were closer to family. I am sure the grandkids would enjoy it and so would you guys.

I hate it that we live so far from my inlaws and my parents. I feel that the kids have to suffer because we are in the military. They don't get to go to grandma's for the night or even for the day. We do our part by going to visit and they come here too, but I wish that they had the means to live here but everyone has a job that they can not leave. My mother in law would be here in a second but she has to work for insurance because my Father in law is so sick. He will be gone soon and I want my kids to spend what time is left with him. Being 6 hours away makes that really hard though

7:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry you are in this situation. House hunting can be hard enough but even harder when you are already happy where you are. I truly wish you end up where you are happy! Good luck!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Living closer really does sound like the best plan. I hope the move is as effortless as possible.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

have a wonderful wknd with the family. enjoy yourself immensively. thank you for all your kindness and care. you have no idea how wonderfullly good they feel.
hugs and much love.

3:37 AM  
Blogger Chrisk67 said...

Thank you for the comment on Chicago Sunsets via Dr. Johns...
I appreciate the comment and would also like a new place to live someday, but then again-their wouldn't be great sunsets like I get now at street level...
:o)
Chrisk67

8:41 AM  
Blogger Chris Beason said...

Thank you for the comment on my blog. I really appreciate your words of encouragement. I thank God for putting you and Dr. John in my life. I can't explain the feeling I get coming to hang out in the fortress for a few minutes with ya'll.

12:01 AM  
Blogger butterflies said...

God will find you the perfect house once again!

3:14 PM  
Blogger Chris Beason said...

I know Dr. John will get a kick out of me letting you know that I happened to visit your blog first today!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Chris Beason said...

By the way, I know home is where you make it, but at least I'll always know where to find you in your home here!

8:27 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

UGHHH- moving! I said after we moved to our house up here in the sticks that I'd never do it again. We went from a 7 bedroom house (six kids) to a three bedroom (kids were growing up and leaving) and the downsizing we had to do was pretty severe. I had no idea we had accumulated so much stuff in the 12 years that we lived in that big old house. I got here by way of Dr. John's blog which I so enjoy reading- I tell him he's like a breath of fresh air

4:45 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

I can understand your anxiety about moving and why but like chana said you and dr.John will find the right answer.
all the best

5:15 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

Right more i come from Dr.john s
Stop thinking about it get some sleep.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Its me again Betty! I came from Dr Johns ...hope you had a happy 4th of July!!!

9:34 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

I, too, came from Dr. John's. I read your post and stopped to say a prayer for you.

12:35 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

posting again because of Dr. John's marathon...thanks for visiting us this weekend!

2:54 PM  
Blogger kristi said...

I am posting again too because of Dr. John!!! I know that you will find the right house. I hate moving because I feel that I am leaving memories behind, but then I realized they are memories....totally portable you can take them wherever you go.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

I met your husband blog just browing one day, and now through his blog I have met you.

Hard decisions, but I think being near family is a good thing. so you are making the right decision. When we moved to Georgia we sold a house in California, which we should have kept. It would now be worth enough to buy three homes here, but you don't always do what you should when you don't know what is going to happen in the future. OH well money certainly isn't everything. Hopefully you can sell you place for enough that you won't have a large payment...I will pray for everything to work out great for you.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home